skip to Main Content
Mold in the corner near a window

The Health Risks of Unidentified Mold: Keep Your Family and Employees Safe

As the weather gets colder, we’re spending more and more time cozied up inside — and that means indoor pollutants like mold pose an even greater risk to our health. The first step to keeping your family and employees safe from mold in your home or business is understanding its possible health implications. So we’ve put together this rundown of the most common mold-related issues.

The most common, proven health risks of mold

A range of respiratory problems

Mold is known to cause respiratory problems like nasal stuffiness, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. Sinus headaches and sore throats are also common — the results of mold exposure often resemble symptoms of a classic head cold.

Minor skin problems

Mold can also cause redness and itchiness if the spores come into direct contact with your eyes or skin. Thankfully, this irritation can often be dulled by thoroughly washing the affected area, though some people have specific mold allergies that can cause the discomfort to persist.

Rarer — but more serious — health problems from mold

Additional respiratory problems

In more serious cases, exposure to mold can cause lung infections or even bleeding, especially in people who have existing respiratory problems like asthma or environmentally-triggered allergies. These severe problems are typically triggered by the presence of black mold, scientifically called stachybotrys chartarum.

Trouble focusing and staying alert

Mold exposure can also result in headaches, nausea, and general fatigue that make it difficult to focus on daily tasks. This can build into increased anxiety that further exacerbates other symptoms, creating a “snowball” effect that can only fully be stopped when the mold is removed.

A compromised immune system

Finally, mold exposure can weaken the immune system, particularly in very young, elderly, or already immunocompromised individuals. As your body expends resources fighting off mild reactions from the mold spores, it has less bandwidth to tackle other health problems that may come up — the same way that we struggle to get home from a full day of work to clean and cook dinner when on a lazy weekend we find those tasks simple.


Thankfully, most of the health problems associated with mold are minor and resolve on their own once the exposure is stopped. More serious complications are still possible, though — and the damage mold can do to your home or business’s structure is nothing to trifle with.

If you spot any mold in your space, don’t hesitate to reach out to a professional for help fixing the situation!

Revive Restoration Services

Join our Newsletter

Receive regular updates on tips and tricks to keep your house or office building in tip-top shape.

Back To Top